Thursday, October 19, 2006

Annoying Fans, Part I

Last night I attended the Anaheim-Detroit game. My pal has season tickets, so even though I'm a Shark's fan, I've been going to a lot of Duck's games. I don't even mind rooting for the Ducks, provided they don't pass SJ in the standings! Anyway, like I said, we went to the game, sat in our season seats, and proceeded to listen to the annoying Detroit fan bag on everything that was positive for Anaheim. The entire game. I was trying to figure out how I could throttle him and keep my job, but in the end, I decided he wasn't worth it.

I can appreciate good heckling. I hear a lot of that up in Section 422 in Anaheim, especially toward the visiting goalie and the refs, but Detroit Fan was anything but creative. He was behind the times, constantly referring to the "Disney" team and "Mickey Mouse" even though they no longer own the team, who wouldn't meet Disney's standards of conduct (See Brian Burke's, "We won't apologize for fighting", comments). Then he blames all the goals and "ticky-tack" calls on the refs. But of course, only when they go against his team. Then, near the end of the game, he starts to criticize the banners (or lack thereof) hanging in the rafters at the Pond, er Honda Center. Well of course Detroit has more, they've only been around a lot longer. I appreciate the legacy of the Red Wings, but jeez man, get over the fact you are about to lose a game!

The best part of this whiner's night though: He was so busy arguing with a Duck's fan across the aisle, he totally missed the only Detroit goal of the night. We had to tell him. What an idiot!

Anyway, I'll get back to other annoying fan items throughout the season. (Like the gaseous fan who let's one go in the stands, but that's a whole other story).

2 Comments:

At 8:51 AM, Blogger Earl Sleek said...

Not to be defensive for that Detroit fan or anything, but the officiating last night was pretty terrible, one of the worst games I have seen officiated on both ends of the rink.

I would have been more agreeable had there been zero calls than the continual nonsense these refs were calling last night. Pathetic.

Thank goodness our special teams came to play.

 
At 2:04 PM, Blogger Bartcal said...

I admit, the officiating wasn't great. But with this fan, it didn't matter what was going on, Detroit was better and all of us rooting for Anaheim might as well just sit back and take it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home