Friday, October 10, 2008

First Game a Hit

What a night. Totally worth the drive up from So Cal to attend the Sharks home opener. The opening was cool, except for the lack of the Sharks head (I guess there was some sort of problem, so it wasn't used). The player introductions got even better when Nabby was introduced and the place got loud. Soon after, the Sharks regular season began.

The first period was so-so, about what I expected to see from a Ducks-Sharks game. What I hadn't expected to see were the great hits tossed out there by Roenick and Thornton. I did expect to see a fight, especially with Parros and May in the Anaheim lineup and Shelley and Murray in for the Sharks. But didn't happen, shocking.

Now the second period, from a Sharks fan's point of view, was great. Nice to see Cheechoo being a pest in front of the crease ala Holmstrom, and then manage to put two in the net. Thanks to the Ducks for not figuring out how not to play. The third period was almost as good as the second, I mean, who could have expected to see Erhoff put one in the back of the twine. And even though Blake didn't get a goal, it wasn't for a lack of trying. I was disappointed that Nabokov did not get the shut-out he deserved. And I would have liked to have seen a Cheechoo hat-trick, but a 4-1 win was still way better than I expected.

So, in the end, 1 down & 81 more to go. Just keep getting better boys.

Note: Who would have thought Toronto would pull off a road win against Detroit? I sure didn't. I'm happy for Toskala and Ron Wilson. I didn't hate Ron, but can see why a change of coaching perspectives can help a team. I wish him well in Toronto.

Bernier also showed some nice grit and scoring touch in Vancouver's game: fighting Phanuef and scoring a goal. Way to go Bernie, my fantasy team appreciates it.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home